google analytics

Thursday, September 22, 2011

ubuntu in my laptop (acer aspire 5500z)

Yes, I've an antique Acer Aspire 5500z laptop whose BIOS password I don't know. :)
Really disgusting specs but I love it even after broken right arrow key(I broke it). I was facing glitches with my work as earlier my laptop was infected with viruses. I tried installing windows 8 but it didn't work out. I was left with no access to my personal files and programs and most important media content on my laptop @ home.

I had to took a decision. It's been years since I've known ubuntu, from the time it used to get shipped for free. I guess the version was 6 or something. I had shipped and wasted nearly close to 100 CDs and use the logos as I like logo rather than linux at that time. I had all flavors CD, ubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu everything till they stopped shipping CDs. ;)

I had installed it a few times earlier but there's tons of things you are familiar with windows and all your software and small utilities that you love on windows. I don't hate windows specifically because I never paid anything for it (except for blank CDs). With every version they launched, there was some guy cracking the whole licensing stuff and helping poor guys with installation. Ahh, I'm going off the topic.

I burned ubuntu 11.04 (waiting for 11.10) ISO on a blank CD and started installing. Since, the drive is totally worn out and I can even see some marks on lens of reader, it didn't get played smoothly. I was stuck at installation. Then I remembered, wubi, the cute little utility that lets you run ubuntu alongside windows without partitioning. I installed ubuntu using wubi. And then using ubuntu startup disk manager, I created my sanDisk cruzer micro flash drive as a start-up media. Again, I didn't know that my laptop's BIOS supports USB boot until that day.

I plugged in my sanDisk cruzer and also the CD and rebooted and yippe, it accepted the install. I formatted my whole 60GB HDD as I had taken backup of almost everything. So, i'm now totally on ubuntu. I'm going to install macbuntu to give it an awesome look. I won't say I'm loving it as of now as I had to install many things to get to my normal work routine. And there are certain things which I've noticed in 1 day.

  1. torrents runs faster, you get faster download speeds (i'm using default torrent application with ubuntu)
  2. even in high loads, i don't see/feel cpu fan running or howling. either it's not controlling it or it's keeping it cool
  3. media files play fine and smooth as i've installed the restricted ubuntu pack
  4. chromium  browser, seriously amazing speed. Flash also works fine after i installed plugin.
The rest, i'll keep checking/testing and i'll keep updating. So far, smooth ride with ubuntu. Let's hope things stay this way and i keep exploring new things.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..i told something about UBUNTu to my gadget freak friend and he installed it on his systen and now happy with it...
By the way I used Ubuntu for a night only and I am quite happy with that ONE NIGHT STAND.As i am not sofware professional u can expect unbiased/innocent opinions about UBUNTU..so here we go....
1) Its free, so by installing it on ur system u can protect yourself from that constantly irritating message "this copy of windows is not genuine.nd bla bla..."
2) May be ur using windows from the times of ur ancestors still u can adjust with UBUNTu within hour (personel experiance)
3) U can protect urself from those windows custemised viruses.
4) Linux is open source and not earning those heavy profits like microsoft. So natuarally it is not going to create another multibillionre Bill Gates.Nd its gud to maintain that finacial balance of the world.
5) U can project urself as tech geek....hahhaaaa...since most of the ppl r using windows..yeah some ppl does that...

Post a Comment