google analytics

Monday, September 19, 2011

windows 8 install: 2, 4, 8, 16!!

A few days ago Microsoft launched developer preview of their latest operating system named as Windows 8!

After so successful and fast selling Windows 7, Microsoft is trying to build more focus on overall user experience with their operating systems. Geeky me, I did download Windows 8 32-bit (my old acer aspire 5500z is 32-bit). And since, my great friend had infected my system with 3 notorious viruses namely W32.Changeup, W32.Stuxnet!lnk, I thought of installing it.

My laptop doesn't read CD/DVD(s) smoothly, so I copied the extracted ISO into my D drive. Since, it's all infected and these stupid viruses don't allow me to run my laptop in normal mode, I copied everything in very slow "safe mode" of windows xp. It took, nearly 1.5 hours to copy 2.75 GB of data from a transcend (stupid) pendrive to my (almost 7 year old) hitachi 60GB hdd.

Anyway, after copying I launched setup.exe and it was checking system for its requirements and it failed!


I was so shocked to see that because my laptop is 1.7Ghz, 2GB RAM which fits the basic minimum but since my hdd is partitioned as 15GB and 40GB, it failed.
Windows 8 basically required 16GB for installation! I don't know what all is going to be there.

So, now I'm left with a unstable windows xp laptop on which I would have to repartition hdd so that it fits Windows 8 requirements.

Keep looking up this space for more. I'll update my experiences with it.
btw, I would probably format my hdd for ubuntu 11.04 install later :P

0 comments:

Post a Comment